The Church of St. Jude and the Nativity began as two parishes operating blocks apart from each other in the 1840's in what was then the rapidly developing northern reaches of Philadelphia. In 1908 the Church of St. Jude merged with the Church of the Nativity. Then, in 1949 the decision was made to sell the center city church buildings at Eleventh and Mt. Vernon Streets and buy the land on Germantown Pike in the rapidly developing Lafayette Hill. The new congregation began meeting in the firehouse while the church and rectory were under construction. In September of 1952, the new church was finished. As the farmland around it was developed, increasing the population of the area,the growing congregation found it necessary to expand the church in 1956.
Rev. Richard Ogden Partington served for the first 30 years until his retirement. Rev. Dr. John Nunamaker Tinklepaugh served until his retirement in 2006, and Rev. Kathleen Marie Walter served until she transferred to a parish in Clearwater, Florida in November 2014. Rev. Jude Meckling joined us in 2015 and has since retired. We welcomed Rev. Christina Nord to St. Jude's in August 2018.
Over the half century that St. Jude & the Nativity has been serving the community, it has seen many changes in the Episcopal Church, the parish and neighborhood and has made adjustments to those changes and looks forward to the future.
The church and rectory sit on Germantown Pike with easy access to the PA turnpike, Route 476 and center city Philadelphia. Both parish buildings are of colonial style architecture using native fieldstone in its construction. There is air conditioning and ample parking.